Binalong was an area settled by Europeans in the 1820's, decades before official records by Colonial authorities became apparent. Originally called ﾓBennelongﾔ, the name was changed at the suggestion of local residents to Binalong, an Aboriginal word meaning ﾓTowards a High Placeﾔ. With its close proximity to ﾓLambing Flatﾔ (Young) goldfields, Binalong was an obvious stopping place for Cobb and Co coaches and equally, a lucrative area for bushranger operations. Infamous bushranger ﾓFlashﾔ Johnny Gilbert, was shot dead by troopers in a nearby paddock on the 13th May, 1865. His grave is on a hillside close to town along the Harden Road. Australia's best-known poet, Andrew Barton Paterson, better known as ﾓBanjoﾔ spent his early childhood at ﾓIllalongﾔ, a local property between Binalong and Yass. His writings in later life clearly express his love for the local people and lifestyle of the area. His father's grave can be found in the local cemetery. Illalong quarry provided much of the rock needed for the construction of Burrinjuck Dam. Presenting a balance mix of buildings, Binalong has an old Cobb and Co Inn (c1840), Police Station and Courthouse (c1883), local bluestone Mechanics Institute (c1912) and Old Railway Station (c1883). Also the Roman Catholic church St Patricks (c1913) which replaced the original structure of 1861 and the Anglican Church St Thomas (c1866).